Tuesday, February 27, 2007

AN HONEST MISTAKE

As I was standing next to the USS Constellation in Baltimore Harbor, I happened to reach into my jacket pocket, and behold I found several tea bag packages in there. Being a history buff, I decided to reenact an historical event as I threw the bags into the harbor. All that was missing was the massive crowds and burning torches.
I felt a hand on my shoulder and heard those dreaded words "you're under arrest". Turning I saw a police officer, who was all ready calling for the marine unit to retrieve the evidence from the bay. He was thinking that I had seen him approaching, and being in possession of a herb that is rolled into the shape of a cigarette, and then smoked, threw this herb into the harbor to avoid arrest.
I was trying to explain to him that all I did was reenact a famous tea party. Well being young and naive, this fool tried to tell me wrong town and wrong harbor.
To my delight the toxic waters of the bay dissolved any traces of those tea bags. No evidence, no arrest, not even for littering.
I forgave him as we parted, after all it was an honest mistake on HIS part.

7 comments:

La Sirena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
La Sirena said...

Yes it was an honest mistake on his part. Wasn't "tea" a nickname for certain smokeable herbs back in your day?

Of course, these days it's probably considered a bigger crime to remember any history at all, even if you do remember it incorrectly.

Pelmo said...

In my day it was Lucky Strikes, Camels and Chesterfield.
Then to be cool you rolled that pack up in your t-shirt sleeve.
Never was a hippie so wacky tobbacky was never on the agenda.

Woodlandmama said...

I am sure that the exchange went more like this:
"You're under arrest"
"Oh, yeah? Here's my FOP card. Am I under arrest?"
"No, hey sorry about that buddy!"

Pelmo said...

I am not one to embelish an incident, that may have left me incarcerated, in one of Maryland's penal institutions.

JoeC said...

If I ever get to Boston Harbor, I'll be sure to be very, very careful when tossing tea bags. Sounds like a great way to celebrate the history, though. Maybe a little on the literbug side, but Tea can't be as bad as the chemicals being pumped into the harbor from the city...

Glad you're not in cuffs!

Pelmo said...

You can perform a miracle and walk on water with all that stuff they do dump into it.