Monday, February 12, 2007

COFFEE

I have drank a few cups of coffee in all my years. The gamut ranged from coffee that could be used to patch pot holes in the street, to what I considered nectar of the gods. This liquid I consumed came from vending machines, home percolators, greasy spoon restaurants and 50 gallon urns in military mess halls.
Then a north west (known as Seattle) phenomenon hit the Chicago area. It was called Starbucks. Naturally it was opening on the north side of Chicago, better known as yuppie ville. If you want something to become trendy, get a fancy name, overcharge for it, and the yuppies will flock to it like sheep.
Fearing that over exposure to these mindless wonders, might rub off on me, I tend to stick to the south side of the city.
Then one day, I was assigned to a job on the dreaded part of town. After completing the assignment, I drove past one of those yuppie shrines. Curious, I ventured in, and was in an instant state of confusion as I tried to decipher the menu board.
The place went dead silent as I placed my order. Later I learned that I had committed a mortal sin, by just ordering a small plain black coffee.
Inside the squad car, I sat back, ready to enjoy this delicacy. I took a sip, and luckily for me it was summertime and the window was open as the hand holding the cup flew through the window dumping the toxic liquid that momentarily touched my lips.
The only good thing that came of my excursion, was that I was able to warn unwary souls of the pitfalls that might befall them if they enter through those doors.
Only yuppies could afford those prices or understand those menus. Grande Latte you can keep it, just give me a good cup of coffee.

8 comments:

Woodlandmama said...

Yes but they used to make Coconut Creme Frapachinos (read: milkshake) that was heaven in a cup sprinkled with toasted coconuts!

JoeC said...

For me it depends on the location...

If it's a cold night, and the family is headed for the bookstore for a good hour of browsing, I have to admit I can't resist a $4 white chocolate mocha.

On the other hand, if it's morning coming into the office, I've gotten used to the free vender crap there, even the double-packet thick brew they make down at the end of the building where there's a heavy contingent of Europeans.

And, if it's a crisp autumn morning in a campground, there is nothing like some cheap Maxwell House in a metal coffee pot perked on a fire with some wood ashes mixed in, and the smell of extra greasy bacon and eggs mixing in the same pan adding a bit of extra flavor via the olfactory center...

Dang, I gotta go make some coffee...

La Sirena said...

What you make it in has much to do with the quality of the coffee. Joe has that right. Somehow the stovetop or campfire percolater just tastes better.

Before Starbucks, there were a bunch of independently owned coffee houses in Chicago that made strong brew and catered to the artsy types. You could go in, get hepped up on delicious caffeinated beverages and have very strange and amusing conversations. These places often distributed and published their own literary magazines.

Then Starbucks arrived, and rented in the same bldgs where the independent coffee houses were. A condition of their lease was always that the other coffee estb. had to be evicted.

So disappeared a really cool -- if alternative and artsy - piece of Americana.

I try to never give Starbucks my money.

Pelmo said...

I usually go to the Caribbean, to get little umbrellas in my drinks, and not a supposed coffee shop.
Vender coffee puts hair on your chest.
And the metal coffee pot only gets rinsed out, never washed.

Pelmo said...

La Sirena understands the importance of patronizing independent enterprises, rather then the corporate franchises. Why people go to plastic replicas, and avoid the real and original is beyond us both, I do believe.

JoeC said...

There's a nice place here in town called Aromas. Nice to grab a cup there on Saturdays (when it's a bit warmer weather than lately...) and take it on a walk around the park. I hope all the little coffee shops stick around...remember the drive-ins and diners in the 50s, and the 70s, when there was a disco on every corner? Then they all disappeared...not that I miss discos, but I can't help but wonder if the coffee shop fad will die out and all the independent little enterprises will pack it in in a few years...the market seems to be pretty saturated right now.

La Sirena said...

We are sure opinionated about coffee and the places they make it.

Pelmo said...

Yes we are opinionated about it. Look at all the memories of the good or bad cups of coffee we had and the places we enjoyed them,and the people we shared it with.
It didn't matter if it was a Frapachino, mocha or mud from a percolater, they all seemed to bring great joy.