Sunday, April 1, 2007

GROUND HOG DAY,THE MOVIE

I thought I was caught in a movie set as I drove through the suburbs. Over and over again the same old thing as one town ran into the next. Wal-Mart, Target, Kohl's, and Sears divided by McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's and such and back to the big boxes, and then the fast food restaurants as if I was on a merry-go-round. No land marks, just generic strip malls anchored with one or two big names. The landscape dotted with the fast food joints. Luckily I was sober and was able to escape the wild world of oz.
Are we becoming such idiots that we no longer can flurish with something different, or is it that we can't survive if everything isn't laid out in a prescribed order?.

9 comments:

JoeC said...

I went to Guatemala City last autumn, and thought I was really taking an adventure into another culture. However, when I got there, this was the view from the hotel:
http://www.joecrubaugh.com/photos/guatemala/01b.jpg

To get away these days, you really have to struggle...

Pelmo said...

That is one of the reason's I enjoyed my trip to Lithuania last June. 10 glorious days of not seeing those familiar signs on every corner. Surprising how people actually survived eating healthy and not being burdened down with every known electronic gadget.

Jane said...

Yet.

Meander said...

Glad you are feeling better and blogging again Pete.

La Sirena said...

Me, too.

Pelmo said...

Thank you, makes me feel a lot better.

JoeC said...

Glad you're back, too, Pelmo! By the way, I've been meaning to ask...is there a story behind the picture of Elmo waving from the door in the snow?

Pelmo said...

The Sgt. was always getting mad at me for answering 10-4 which is supposed to mean a two man car, instead of 10-99 which meant you were working alone. He told me he would write me up if I didn't comply. So I went out and started to ride with an Elmo doll safely strapped in the passenger seat and the Capt. didn't allow the Sgt to write me up since technically I was a two person vehicle.

JoeC said...

Too cool! Elmo on patrol! Thanks for sharing the story.