Saturday, October 27, 2007

LEMON ADE

My father always looked on the bright side of things, something I fail miserably at times. I loved his view on why he never attempted to go trough an intersection whenever the light turned yellow, and he would always stop. Why follow all that traffic, when I can be the first one when the light turns green, and I have a free and clear road ahead.

One day I was looking at my pay check stub, after I had worked quite a bit of overtime. I complained to him how much they had taken out in taxes. He quickly burst my bubble. Why are you looking at the part your paying out, you have no control of that, rather look at how much more you are making and bringing home.

Then one day he was stopped by a policeman for making an improper turn. I implored him to plead his case that this was the first time in the neighborhood and he did not see the sign. With the policeman standing there and waiting to see his license. He simply stated, look how many times I probably broke the law and never got caught. So now I did, and it's time to pay the piper. I am way ahead of the game. Not in those words exactly, but rather in his broken English sort of way. The policeman after looking at his license, didn't have the heart to give someone that wise and honest a ticket.

Then their was the time I was wondering why he was taking the same road home from work, when on the previous day it was quite congested. He simply explained, that many of the frustrated and impatient drivers would look for alternate routes and that they would be fill the other routes. Needless to say he was right as we sailed along on a traffic free street.

So no matter how many lemons fell into my father's life he always managed to make lemon ade out of it. If the rest of us managed to look at life trough his eyes, we would have a wonder full life indeed.

5 comments:

Brent said...

It sounds like he was a wise and loving father.

Pelmo said...

I guess you look at life differently when you have to live trough the effects of a large war, and begin a new life in a new country.

La Sirena said...

I think I need to learn to take your father's zen approach to driving.

WHITEY said...

i c u still have midnights in ur blood - posting the message at 0646hrs. good story, got me thinking about my dad.

love n kisses whitey

Pelmo said...

Nice to see that you are still alive. It is sad that we find out how smart those old dad's were until it is to late and we can't tell them.

Right back at youXOXOXO