Tuesday, July 24, 2007

DOG FIGHT

I can imagine what World War II dog fights must have been like, since I am treated to them every weekend as the hummingbird's put on a daily non stop aerial show from morning till night, at a place I call home in Central Illinois.

I have three feeders for these tiny creatures, who awaken me each morning with their flapping wings as they feed outside my bedroom patio doors. It's impossible to count them as they put on that acrobatic show. I was always amazed at how they could speed around without knocking into one another, until this past weekend when the impossible happened and two of them had a mid air collision.

I was walking from the deck on the pond to the house and witnessed this catastrophe. The many years of experience as a police officer took over as I rushed to assist these two dazed combatants as they lay on the ground motionless.

Mustering up all of my medical knowledge I placed them in the palm of my hand and administered first aid, even tho my resources were slim to none. For the next fifteen minutes I was enthralled at giving aid and comfort to these to tiny birds.

Seeing their eyes lids flicker, I knew my attempts were not futile and that my
hard work was paying off. To my delight one of the birds regained his strength and flew off. My worries about the second one soon disappeared and he to was back in combat.

If my friend Dennis, from the days on the police department would have witnessed this, and he being a Sargent, I am sure he would have quickly submitted my name for a life saving award. But knowing him like I do, he would have gone beyond that and would have pursued a Department Commendation, and maybe just maybe a Medal of Valor.

4 comments:

La Sirena said...

I'm not Dennis, but click here for your medal.

Pelmo said...

Thank you, I will display it proudly.

JoeC said...

Way to go, Pelmo!

In Thom Hartman's The Prophet's Way he tells how his spiritual guru was always picking up worms and moving them off the sidewalks after a rain, so they wouldn't get stepped on, and how he was always saying it's the tiniest random acts of kindness that feed huge positive change rippling through the universe.

So, thanks for the positive energy!

Pelmo said...

our welcome.
I can't believe something so tiny, can bring so much joy.