Monday, September 10, 2007

CARROT ON A STICK

As a youth my parents instilled certain values into me, such as hard work and responsibility. I did the same with my kids, and I am very proud they heeded my advice and are passing it on to their kids.

How quickly things change, and not for the better. A new program being instituted in the Chicago Public school system, will reward students with cars, vacations and gift certificates for attendance. Rewards for things that they SHOULD BE DOING naturally.

As a crotchety old fart, I might have bent a bit on this subject and allowed it as a new way of teaching responsibility; but a fatal flaw of mine, reading the entire article, drew my ire. This wasn't for the entire year. Rather it was for several months, pick and choose when you want to go to school and you will be eligible for the drawings of these prizes.

I think my mother had the right idea, as she took me into the pantry and had me bend over and grab my ankles, after I had done something wrong or bad. She would tell me she was knocking my brains from my ass to my head, as she applied the old razor strap to my posterior.

So instead of rewards, how about a boot up the ass; to knock those brains into there rightful position. It worked for me.

No comments: