Wednesday, October 1, 2008

OFFICIAL END OF SUMMER

To me the first sign of spring in Central Illinois is the arrival of a loan hummingbird in late April. As the weeks pass the numbers increase and by late July I have well over two dozen feeding and frolicking at my three feeders. For the past few weeks I have watched them pack their bags and and fuel up the RV's for the trip to warmer climates.

Just as in the spring, only one hummingbird remains to keep me entertained, and soon he will also be gone. So to me this loan bird signals the end of summer. Now it's going to be a long wait till the end of March as the radio station I listen to begins there daily humming bird migration report. Then I will hang up the one feeder and wait for the leader of the pack.

So now I switch from buying 5 lb bags of sugar to 20 lb bags of bird seed as the cardinals and woodpeckers will dazzle me with their colors as they come to the feeders. Goodbye summer and hello fall and winter.

3 comments:

La Sirena said...

Sounds like you are in good company for afew more days!

Jane said...

Well, I guess you always have me to keep you company. ;)

Pelmo said...

Jane, I cherish your company.