Thursday, May 1, 2008

COLONEL SANDERS STRIKES AGAIN

Two things I enjoy about the spring is the return of my hummingbirds and waiting for the brood of geese to hatch and to watch them float around my pond.

Two weeks ago the hummingbirds did return and the two geese were floating on the pond with four goslings in tow who had just recently hatched.

Enter Colonel Sanders, the Darth Vader of the poultry world, and his quest for corporate profits and unending quest to meet or surpass earning expectations. A family unit is disseminated as four young lives are snuffed out, leaving Mother Goose and her mate to mourn their loss.

A multitude of kids and grand kids will miss seeing these goslings as they float around the pond until they reach maturity and fly off to destinations unknown. Joe C who comments on my posts at times, will probably blame it on some colossal squid, that he is trying to convince me is inhabiting my pond. The rest of us know better.

Doesn't matter if it's regular or crispy, the next time you bite into that piece of chicken, ask yourself, could it be one of Pete's geese your chomping on?



4 comments:

JoeC said...

Stay away from the pond! The geese told me they saw something huge slither from the slime at the bottom, and it was headed toward the surface at an incredible speed with its gaping beak set for attack. A few days ago, some kids caught the sound of it on a tape recorder...an unearthly moaning. When they played it back at fast speed, it sounded like words: "Feed me more KFC! Feed me more KFC!..."

Pelmo said...

You are one sick puppy.

Woodlandmama said...

JoeC, the unearthly thing lives in the lake not the pond. That's why no one can swim in it.
And it looks more like a giant fish with legs than a squid. It just goes to the pond when it wants to dine on Goose veal. For the most part the giant catfish scare it away. Those catfish are like the mob of my mom and Pete's farm, they'll get you if you mess with their family. Even Cthulhu is afraid of them.

La Sirena said...

If I were you I wouldn't eat at the neighbor's anytime soon either...