Tuesday, May 15, 2007

GREED

After reviewing my latest credit card bill, I was in total shock. Supposedly I was one day late with my payment and the late fee was $39 plus interest. Five or ten dollars could have sufficed, but this was outright highway robbery. Even the mob wasn't as greedy when they were in the loan business. Stories of people paying fifteen thousand on an original purchase of three thousand are not uncommon. Naturally I called and had this removed from my bill. But how many fools , just pay and pay.

I don't begrudge anyone from making a profit, but let's not get carried away. Drinking emporiums are filled with people forking over ten dollars and more for a mar tine, which the establishment would make a hefty profit at half the price. And don't get me started what they charge for a fifty cent beer.

A personal loan is needed to purchase a coffee and muffin at Starbucks, yet there is one on every corner, and the fools stand in line to part with their hard earned money.

I have a friend, whom I shall refer to as Dennis to protect the innocent, and he and I golf occasionally. He whacks the hell out of the ball as it travels quite a bit further then mine. He hasn't fallen to all the new technology and purchased the new three hundred dollar drivers, each and every year, but sticks with his vintage clubs that he may have purchased at a Sam Snead garage sale.

Ten dollar wooden bats have given way to four hundred dollar aluminum bats , and people are happy to pay.

What are the profits? Why are these CEO's making such huge salaries? Why are there so many fools so willing to part with their money? Get your head out of your ass and stop this insanity.


5 comments:

JoeC said...

Ever since the gold standard was thrown in the garbage, the masses have become more and more money illiterate. What's a dollar really worth...it's abstract now, depends on what happened overnight on the Japanese Stock Market.

Plus with the debit and credit cards, people don't have to keep track what they're spending...and I think that's made people more "money illiterate. With a swipe card in their pocket, they're another step removed from thinking about how many hours they worked to pay for the cup of coffee. A fool and his money...

Pelmo said...

You are right. I think to many people as well as congress don't have a clue as to when to stop spending. As long as they can keep up with the minimum payment, they consider themselves rich, and use it as an incentive to keep on spending.
There is a big difference between paying for something with cash, you realize what something really costs when you do.
As my father would always say, "if you can't afford it, you don't need it". Except for the house, he always paid cash for everything. Funny part, I never felt deprived.

JoeC said...

Posessions take time and energy. I think that's why it feels so good after a spring cleaning...no guilt about not using all that stuff that's been sitting in the corner of the garage gathering dust. I think most Americans are pack rats by nature, though, including me. A few house moves went a long way toward curing me...now when I want to buy something, I think, "Is buying this worth having to haul it away to the thrift shop in a few years?" That thought's saved me getting a lot of junk in the past few years.

Pelmo said...

The big question you ask yourself, why did I buy it in the first place?
I prefer to spend a little more on quality, then spending on quantity.

Woodlandmama said...

Excuse me Pelmo, I've seen your garage!